Sunday 23 September 2012

Dada’r Kirti – This Dada’s Deeds are Truly Cute


Dada’r Kirti.... Aaahhh..!!! Should I say this is incredible.... or should I say it is awesome... or should I simply say it’s "Simple & Sweet". Don’t think I’ve just passed a simplistic comment. Trust me, Dada’r Kirti is the movie that truly justifies the comment. Dada’r Kirti, which means 'deeds of my big brother', is a tale of a simpleton named Kedar Chatujje (Chatterjee), played by veteran Bengali superstar Tapas Pal. The movie is based on the story written by legendary Sharadindu Bandyopadhay with the similar name. Kedar is a dim-witted young boy, who was been trying to clear his final year BA exams for three years but was not able do so. For his regular failures, Kedar’s father got immensely angry and sent to him to his uncle’s home who stays in a small village of Bihar.



The simple minded Kedar becomes the butt of all jokes of his cousin Santosh alias Santu’s (Ayan Banerjee) gang of friends led by Bhombol Bhattacharjee also known as Bhombolda (Anup Kumar). They always tried to make a fool out of Kedar. On one such incident, which is my favorite sequence too, kedar was out for a morning walk. Suddenly he stops on a melodious voice coming from a neighboring house. Saraswati (Mahua Roychoudhury) was singing certain morning raga and Kedar was in a trance while listening to her song. Suddenly Bhombol drops in and he pulled kedar to saraswati’s house. Introduced him as Santanu’s cousine’s bro and flaunted him as a renowned Bhajan singer. Hoping Kedar will make a fool out of him in-front of everyone, Bhombol provoked kedar to sing a Bhajan. And to everyone’s surprise, Kedar’s Bhajan has blown the minds of everybody present there. 


Dada’r Kirti is full of such fun sequences and you’ll never find a moment when you feel disconnected with the story. Tapas Pal’s remarkable performance as a dewy-eyed lad with a purest of heart will make you feel to take him home with you. As a debutant he registered the fact that he’s going to stay and rule the industry for the coming years. Everyone else including Mahua Roychoudhury as Saraswati, Debashree Roy as Bini (Debut), Anup Kumar as Bhombol Bhattacharjee, Ayan Banerjee as Santosh, Sandhya Roy as Boudi (of Santosh), Kali Banerjee as Saraswati & Bini's father and Ruma Guha Thakurta as Saraswati & Bini's mother had justified their roles.



Though the movie was released on 1980 and is among one of the epics of Bengali cinema; it would be criminal from my end if I don’t disclose the fact that I say the film few days back for the first time... :P You may blame me for being such a knave or may laugh at my ignorance – but am still happy that I saw this movie. All credit goes to Sree who searched the YouTube link for me and pushed me to watch it. My outlook and knowledge about Bengali movies is really narrow; still am happy that I’ve started exploring them bit by bit.
As of now, I can guarantee, if simplicity is what excites you, and sooths you at the same time, Dada’r Kirti is a must watch for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment